Shop

Gift Certificates Available
Please call the Winery
(209) 245-6282

Temperature Notice

We cannot ship wine when temperatures are above 85 degrees. If you are placing an order and need your wine shipped during the summer heat, we do offer a temperature control option for $9. Please contact us directly,
209-245-6282 ext 301 to place your order.

2015 Sangiovese, Pioneer Hill Vineyard | Item No. 15SAPH

2015 Sangiovese, Pioneer Hill Vineyard
Item No. 15SAPH | In Stock - Ships in 3-5 Business Days

0 reviews & ratings
price $27.00
club price $22.95

You can Save 10% on this wine when you purchase 12 bottles!

Save even more when you Join the Wine Club!

Details

Comments

Have a Question?

2015 SANGIOVESE

Pioneer Hill Vineyards, Amador County

The principle red grape of Tuscany, Sangiovese, has found a second home in the Sierra Foothills.  Shenandoah Valley’s iron laden decomposed granitic soils along with warm days and cool alpine influenced nights allows Sangiovese to develop exceptional color and full flavors.  Like Barbera, Sangiovese is known as a high acid variety, but unlike Barbera it often has enough tannin to provide the wine with a structure that will benefit from aging.  When asked which of my wines will benefit from aging, Sangiovese is always mentioned. 

While at Montevina in the early 1980s I was fascinated by Barbera, baffled by Nebbiolo and curious about Sangiovese. When I had the opportunity to rescue nine neglected Sangiovese vines that Darrell Corti had provided Cary Gott I found the avenue to pursue my curiosity about Sangiovese.  Tom Dillian and I harvested cuttings from these vines and planted a small vineyard and made Sangiovese for ourselves throughout most of the 1980s.  And in 1999 when Sue Fox grafted the Pioneer Hill Vineyard on the Massoni Ranch from Sauvignon Blanc to Sangiovese, I gained access to enough Sangiovese to go commercial with my efforts.  

The 2015 wine has a ruby purple color of medium depth with carmine hues.  Plums, currants, and briary black raspberries are the featured fruits that comprise the aroma of this wine. The fruit is married to a bouquet of vanilla and caramel with hints of anise, ash, and leather. On the palate flavors of black cherry, currant, toasty oak, and baking spices are delivered by a wine with a bright acidity that promises the fruit will still be with this wine after three to five years of aging.  Sangiovese remains one of our more extracted wines and while the tannins of this wine are not overwhelming they will soften and reward those that manage to cellar this vintage for a year or two.  I am not one to suggest wine and food pairings, but I will say that whenever I have the opportunity to enjoy game it is almost certain it will be with Sangiovese, although Osso Buco or braised lamb shanks works well with this wine too.

Varietal Composition:

100% Sangiovese      14.8 % Alc.      0.73 g/100ml TA       3.34 pH

Oak Regime:

30% American Oak         44% French Oak       26% Neutral Oak

Released: July 1, 2017                           

Cases Produced 500                                               

Suggested Retail Price:  $27

Add a Review

Comments & Ratings

Be the First to Rate this Item.
Write a Review

Have a Question?

Fill out the form below to have one of our associates contact you with answers to your questions about this item.

Name:
Phone Number:
Email:
Your privacy is important to us. We do NOT share your information.
See our Privacy Policy for details.

Suggested Items

There are No Suggested Items at this time.
Close
Just Added:

Price:
Reg. Price: $27.00
Quantity:
Total:
items in cart
Cart Total: